Thursday, 26 September 2013

How many hedgehogs do you need to draw a perfect hedgehog?

Very often I hear people saying: "It looks like it's so easy and quick for you to draw your characters. And i can spend hours and still not be able to finish my drawing!" Even if my creations do look simple, it actually doesn't mean i do them so quickly. It's quite common when you feel discouraged, because it takes so much longer then you imagined to draw something. But wait, i will show you something. Let's have a look at that hedgehog!

Hedgehog in the hat, watercolour

Here are some of my sketches before i got him right. I spend something like 3 hours doing them.

Count hedgehogs! 

And sometimes i would spend couple of days before i figure out how to draw a character. Good things do take time, so be patient and don't get frustrated, if something doesn't come along quickly. And draw more!!! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm following your blog and I love your work! thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate so much! regards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for shering this, I thought I was the only one having trouble with transfering my thoughts from my head to paper/clay :)
    p.s. Very cute hedgehog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, not only you and you can't imagine the amount of self-doubt everytime =) Just keep creating!! All artists are the same in some way =)

      Delete
  3. I try to understand that it takes time, i must learn to have patience with my charters :) You give my much energy and inspiration :) Thanks Jane :)

    ReplyDelete