Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Dark side of the illustration

This week i came across wonderful spooky b/w illustrations by Pete Williamson. And i decided to try to draw something in black and white as well. Being limited in colors helps to be more creative. I've choosen the black indian ink by Winsor & Newton. And after couple of trials, i found the best approach.

Count Cat


First i draw everything with a pencil. Then i make the outline with the ink. I wait 2-3 minutes (always doublecheck if the ink is dry) and erase the pencil. Afterwards i add some water to the ink and draw the shadows. And then it goes straight to my scanner and to my instagram! To complete each drawing i spend about an hour.

I used the brush to draw the Count Cat


I like mixing different elements and play with styles. Cute cat + vampire = Count Cat! Cute fox + tophat + snail = Count Fox.

Count Fox

 I read a lot of stories about vampires, all kind of monsters, ghosts and ghouls. My favourite ones so far are NonNonBa by Shigeru Mizuki, Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman, Lily's Ghosts by Laura Ruby and Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth by Chris Priestleuy. There are many many more.  I would love one day to do illustrations for this kind of books. I would need to extend my portfolio with more b/w works. So i began with drawing this boy and girl vampires and their pet Batty.

Brother and sister vampires

I will definitely do more b/w illustrations and share them with you! Draw more and don't be afraid to come to the dark side of illustration.

4 comments:

  1. That's lovely -and scary ;)- Evgenia !!
    Nice work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I think it´s hard to paint with ink. But maybe i´ll try it someday after all inspiration from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's quite tricky, but you can always give it a try!

      Delete